The day after lace convention ended on Saturday August 9th, we took off from Rockford, Illinois headed towards Nauvoo, Illinois. The trip took about three hours, going from northern Illinois to the Mississippi River. Nauvoo, Illinois (for those who do not know) was the home to the Mormon community from 1839 to 1846, until they were driven from their homes there to travel to their final home in Utah.
There are many homes and businesses from that time that have been restored and tours are given in each of them of what it was like to live during that time period. Everyone was dressed in period costume for an air of authenticity.
This picture of the Nauvoo Temple at night is particularly impressive considering I took it : )
Here is where the prophet Joseph Smith was buried next to the home that he built for his wife Emma.
During the second day at Nauvoo my heart was touched as I stood at the end of Parley street. These pioneers had to cross the Mississippi River here and leave behind their beautiful homes that they had built, to face an uncertain future in the wilderness. I wonder if I would have the faith to do what they did.
No comments:
Post a Comment