Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ithaca Lace Conference

















Last Thursday I flew to Ithaca, New York for their annual lace conference.
Several of my lace buddies encouraged me to think about going. It was my first trip there and
Joining me on the travels were my friends Belinda, Betty, and Carole.
The deciding factor to attend was the fact that they offered my favorite lace (Idrija) and a new teacher. The class was excellent and the teacher showed us a presentation of lacing in Slovenia and examples of lace done by her relatives in the old country.

Our lace class

I am self taught in this lace so I wanted to make sure I hadn't picked up any bad habits.

My teacher Allie and myself

My Idrija lace piece (halfway done!)


The lace piece I worked on was perfect for my skill level and I learned some new techniques.


Class was Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
with the banquet on Saturday night.




Saturday night banquet (left to right) Betty, Allie, myself, Carole, and Belinda

They also had a vendors hall selling lace supplies.
Registration was Friday evening including meeting the teachers and a light meal.

Allie and Pamela Nottingham ( author of countless lace books and a national treasure : )

Belinda, Betty, Carole and myself at the opening social and registration


Since we arrived Thursday night we spent Friday day touring Ithaca. We took the city bus downtown to Ithaca Commons (where all the stores are) and saw Cornell University on the way.

Betty and Belinda ready to shop

Cornell University

The weather was beautiful (75 degrees) and the fall colors were as stunning as my recent trip to Utah.
I made it halfway through my large piece before classes ended and am happy with what I accomplished
Too soon we had to head back home after a busy weekend.

2 comments:

Lisa M said...

You have an amazing talent and self taught wow, very impressive!

2Grandmas2 said...

Stunning! I am glad you are having a great time and seeing our great nation. Places like Ithaca, Boston,etc...one can just feel the history. Retirement can be quite nice, can't it?!