Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Our River House visit (March 2011)

 

Chris and I recently spent a week at the river house.  After spending almost two months trying to recover from cataract surgery I really needed this time to refresh my soul.  Just before I left I went to my last eye doctor appointment and finally had permission to stop the irritating eye drops!  That was a big relief : )  I am still adjusting and finding my way with these new eyes but at least all the post op surgery issues are done.


Most of the days I spent reading and doing my needlework as well as watch old movies, but we did get out and see some things new.  One of the places we visited was the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center.  It is located in Stevenson which is about 45 minutes east of the house on Highway 14.  On our way there I took some cool pictures.  The cloud cover within the gorge was awesome!




The interpretive center showcased the history of the Columbia River Gorge from the time of the Indians up to now.  It is a three tiered building with exhibits throughout.







I (of course) focused on the interpretive handwork that was there from the Indians with their baskets and beading to the settlers with their quilts and rugs.  There was even a lace pillow on exhibit that was fairly dated which was fun for me to see.



One resident hooked a large historical rug of the area and their was a quilt that had been pieced of the gorge history.



We ate lunch in Stevenson at a little pizza place with good pizza.  It was a nice visit.


Another visit we made was to downtown Vancouver and it was actually due to a whim.  I had read in the newspaper that the oldest Burgerville drive in restaurant would be torn down soon. It was built in 1962 and has no drive through and has never been updated.  We decided to go downtown to visit and take pictures.  (I love doing this, did it with the oldest McDonalds restaurant too : )  Burgerville is a chain only in Washington and Oregon but I enjoy their food. They use only locally produced food from local farmers for their meals and give back to the environment. They hope to open another spot downtown but cannot save this one due to redevelopement and a new freeway interchange going in right on top of them.





I almost forgot that we also stopped at Steamboat Landing Park right across from the Pendleton Woolen Mill.  I took some cool picts there of the Columbia River.



And I can't forget my favorite person in all my photography moments : )  Hi Chris!


Washougal had just finished a new underpass from Steamboat Landing Park under highway 14 to Pendleton Woolen Mill and downtown.  Here are some shots of it.  First one from Washougal side heading to the river and second from the river to Washougal.
(with Chris and my purchase at Pendleton : )




 I had forgotten Washougal meant Rushing Waters in the local Indian dialect!


Well that is a little on our trip this time.  I really needed to get away and feel much better and more like my old self now : )

1 comment:

Caroline Kingsley said...

What beautiful pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. We may have to visit that center on our next trip out.