Road Trip - Day 3
Holbrook, Arizona to Tucumcari, New Mexico!
The first visit of the morning was to the Petrified Forest National Park. It is only 30 minutes
south of Holbrook, Arizona. There were so many photo ops that I ended up running down the battery for my camera. What I should have done was charge it the night before (like I did the first night out) but I forgot! I did get all the needed shots for petrified forest but did not get any of the painted desert : (
As you can see from the pictures there was some awesome scenery. Some of the wood looks as big as the Sequoias in Yosemite. They are also beautiful. The whole park was amazing and there were few if any other tourists to bother us. Very quiet and peaceful.
I half expected that this would be the extent of pictures for my blog but fate intervened.
We stopped at Grant, New Mexico ready to try a mexican cafe for lunch and found out that it and every other family owned restaurant was closed. I forgot about it being Sunday. We had to eat at McDonalds (UGH) BUT they had an outlet where I could plug in my camera battery to charge! With the camera working again I was busy taking more pictures than I can ever use : )
We went through downtown Albuquerque and through Santa Rosa. In Santa Rosa I stopped at a Stucky's cafe and gift shop. Stucky's had also been a tradition in our family and we usually stopped several times during our vacations to stock up on their delicious pecan rolls. I thought that they had gone out of business but it seems they are still around east of the Rocky Mountains. As I exited the store I got a spectacular view of one of the countless thunderstorms that we have encountered since Arizona.
We ended up in Tumcumcari, New Mexico overnight. They are a classic route 66 town with iconic motels and cafe's. We ate dinner at the Pow Wow restaurant and had a Tex Mex type of dinner. Their Chili Relleno's are hot but good!
Stay tuned for Day 4!
No comments:
Post a Comment